A few facts about Ghana:
- Not part of the original Ghana Empire that existed in pre-Colonial times.
- First sub-Saharan African nation to gain independence from British rule—on 6 March, 1957.
- Known as the Gold Coast, before adopting the name “Ghana” upon independence.
- An anglophone country surrounded by three French-speaking countries (Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Togo) and the sea (aka the Gulf of Guinea).
- Consists of ten regions, each with its own ethnic group, language, culture, and regional capital.
- Capital city: Accra.
- Citizens crazy about: soccer.