How to Visit Montmorency Falls from Quebec City
16 April, 2018: If you are ever in the vicinity of Quebec City, the capital of the province of Quebec, in Canada, then I recommend you take a couple of hours to visit Montmorency Falls, which is just a mere 10-minute car ride from downtown Quebec City. You will not regret it.
Montmorency Falls or Parc de la Chute-Montmorency is an 83 metre-/272-foot-tall waterfall and public park just a few minutes from downtown Quebec City (13 km east) at 5300 boulevard Sainte-Anne, Quebec, QC. It provides visitors with the opportunity to gape from a suspension bridge or to walk, snowshoe, or zip line (300 metres) between cliffs, forest, and streams while witnessing an impressive waterfall that boasts a 30-metre greater depth than Niagara Falls in Ontario. You can visit Montmorency Falls any time of year as they have year-round accessibility. Entrance is also free all year round, although parking is available for a fee.
If you want to visit Montmorency Falls by car, simply follow the instructions on your GPS; they can describe the journey better than I can. But if you are travelling there by public transportation, here is how you can get there quickly and easily:
- Go to the Via Rail train station in downtown Quebec City. It is located at 450 Rue de la Gare du Palais, Québec, QC – close to the harbour at the south end of Boulevard Charest where the boulevard merges into Rue Saint-Paul.
- Once you enter the train station, proceed down the long corridor to your right and look for a convenience store opposite the Orléans Express bus counter. In that convenience store, you can buy your tickets for the No. 800 bus that will take you straight to Montmorency Falls. It’s $3 each way, or $6 for a round-trip, per person, and run about every 10 minutes.
- Go back outside to the southeast corner of Rue de la Gare du Palais, where it intersects with Boulevard Jean Lesage, and wait at the bus stop there for bus number 800. Once it arrives, get on, scan your ticket (tap once), and stay aboard until it reaches its very last stop, which is Montmorency Falls. The entire bus ride takes about 40 minutes. (However, you can get there in 15-20 minutes by car!) Ask the driver if you are not sure which stop is the last one, but it should be pretty obvious. When you get off the bus, turn right and look for a little wooden bridge that will take you just a few steps further along to the entrance of the suspension bridge that hangs right over the waterfall.
- Spend as much time as you like taking in the beauty of the waterfall, snapping pictures, or hiking along the trails. I found an hour to be sufficient to visit Montmorency Falls, but if the weather is very nice, you might choose to spend a bit more time lounging around.
- To get back to Quebec City, wait at the same bus station you ended up at, and take it in the opposite direction to its last stop – the Via Rail station in downtown Quebec City.
That’s it! The entire process to visit Montmorency Falls is very easy and simple and give you the chance to enjoy a beautiful natural phenomenon if you are anywhere near Quebec City. I hope you enjoy it!
For your convenience, I have created a PDF of this article that you can print off in a tidy, formatted version. You can get your copy below for only $1.
STEP 1: Make your payment
STEP 2: Fill out the order form to have your beautiful Montmorency Falls, QC, e-guide sent to you by e-mail
Pin this post!
I need to explore more of Quebec too. This waterfalls is just gorgeous!
Thank you so much for joining the 50th Fly Away Friday Link-up! Hope to see you at the 51st edition on May 25!
I’ve always wanted to explore Quebec as I’ve never been. It looks so beautiful and Montmorency Falls looks stunning, too! Great tips on how to get there seamlessly! Thanks for joining Fly Away Friday, hope to see you again this weekend! XO